I take a packed lunch with me to work most days and this has become a regular weekly salad. It’s tasty, easy to make and nutritious. My sisters have even come in on taking healthy packed lunches to work and they really enjoy this one!
You will need (for 2-3 people):
– A leafy base such as kale, lettuce or spinach leaves
– A handful of cauliflower florets
– 1 sweet potato
– Cherry tomatoes
– Around 240g white chickpeas drained
– 1 tbsp turmeric
– A pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp chilli powder (optional)
– Pumpkin or sunflower seeds (optional)
Cauliflower and sweet potato:
- Pre heat the oven – 180 degrees.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower and sweet potato into small pieces.
- Mix turmeric, cumin and 1 tbsp of oil. Toss this with the cauliflower florets and sweet potato chunks until the pieces are covered.
- I sometimes marinate the cauliflower for a couple hours in yoghurt, salt, turmeric and cumin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 – 15 minutes until brown.
- Wash and drain the chickpeas.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add cumin once the oil is hot.
- Add the chickpeas, a pinch of salt, a pinch of chilli powder, a squeeze of lime and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, sweet potato, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes (cut in halves) to the leafy base. When I take this as a packed lunch for work, I usually have it with dressing such as beetroot dip or hummus which complements the flavours well. Check out my beetroot dip recipe here.