Jackfruit has become pretty trendy recently, mainly as a meat substitute because of it’s texture. It’s usually used to resemble and replace shredded or pulled pork. The fruit can be found growing in Southeast Asia and is popular with veggies and vegans because of its nutritional value. Full of protein, B vitamins, C vitamins, magnesium… I could go on for a while. The point is it’s packed with the good stuff!
I’ve tried it a few times at restaurants and have been seeing it more on restaurant menus recently so I was eager to try cooking it myself for my next taco night. I usually make tacos with beans or sweet potato as the main ingredient, but I decided to try mixing it up with jackfruit.
You will need:
- 2 cans of tinned jackfruit (I sourced this at Planet Organic)
- 1 tin of black beans
- A few cloves of garlic
- Avocados (for the guacamole)
- Taco shells/soft tortilla wraps/taco boats
- 1 red onion
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- Cumin and ground cumin
- Chilli powder
- Dried oregano
- Drain and wash the jackfruit. Cut into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add 1tbsp of cumin, 1/2 of a chopped onion and a few cloves of crushed garlic once the oil is warm.
- Add the jackfruit and cook with spices. I used 1 tbsp each of salt, chilli powder, ground cumin powder, paprika and dried oregano.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes and stir regularly.
- Wash and drain the black beans.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and add cumin once warm.
- Add the beans and cook with spices, such as salt and chilli powder.
- Add a squeeze of lime.
- Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
Mix together half of a chopped red onion, tomatoes, coriander, salt, pepper and lime.
Mix together avocado, salt, pepper, coriander and lime. You could also add tomatoes, onions and yoghurt to make it creamy.
To make the tacos, layer lettuce, beans, jackfruit and dips such as guacamole, salsa and sour cream (or plain vegan yoghurt). A sprinkle of feta is delicious too!