Cavolo nero (aka black kale or black cabbage) is popular in Italian cuisine and an anti-oxidant rich food. Anything blended in pesto is wayyyy more enjoyable to eat than just boiled leaves so this meal is a good way to get those nutrients in!
I didn’t know what this fancy leaf was when I first saw it on a restaurant menu so I quickly googled it on my phone #noshame and I’ve liked it ever since!
This recipe is a bit of a twist on classic pesto but equally as delicious. You could whip this up in around 10-15 minutes so it’s an easy lunch or dinner.
You will need:
- Around 100g of cavolo nero or kale
- A handful of basil
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- A few cloves of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil (around 5tbsp – judge this as you add it)
- Sundried tomatoes
- Pine nuts
- Feta or vegan cheese (optional)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Red lentil pasta or any type of pasta
Cavolo nero pesto:
- Boil the pasta for the specified time on the packet.
- Wash and chop the cavolo nero. Boil with the cloves of peeled garlic for around 5 minutes.
- Drain and blend the cavolo nero, garlic and oil together. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix the pesto with the pasta and add the sundried tomatoes and pine nuts.
- Garnish with basil, chilli flakes and feta (or vegan cheese).
- Voila! It’s as simple as that. Enjoy!